Wilburton Public Schools Office of the School Nurse
Mendi McAlester RN, BSN
To get in touch with the Nurse, please contact your school’s main office.
- WPS COVID-19 Planning Considerations and Guidance for School Re-entry – Click here to view or download – PDF
- COVID-19 Guidance and Considerations for Halloween 2020 – Click here to view or download – PDF
- UPDATED CDC Guidance on Options to Reduce Quarantine for Contacts of Persons with SARS-CoV-2 Infection Using Symptom Monitoring and Diagnostic Testing – External Link
COVID-19 is a respiratory virus thought to spread mainly from person-to-person: between people who are in close contact with one another (within about 6 feet) and through respiratory droplets produced when an infected person coughs, sneezes, or talks. (CDC, 2020) In an effort to protect student health and prevent the spread of COVID-19 WPS encourages parents to check for the following symptoms/risk factors before sending their children to school:
- Cough (that you cannot attribute to another health condition)
- Shortness of breath (that you cannot attribute to another health condition)
- Sore throat (that you cannot attribute to another health condition)
- Loss of smell or taste (that you cannot attribute to another health condition)
- A temperature at or above 100 degrees or the sense of having a fever
- Close contact, without the use of appropriate PPE, with someone who is currently sick with suspected or confirmed COVID-19
(Note: Close contact is defined as within 6 feet for more than 15 consecutive minutes.)
Any student who is experiencing these symptoms/risk factors should not ride the bus or attend school until they have received the appropriate testing/health care. If a student tests positive for COVID-19, students must adhere to the following guidelines and well as the “Too Sick for School Rules” before returning to school and/or accessing school bus transportation:
- The child has no fever in the last 3 days with no fever-reducing medications.
- The child’s respiratory symptoms have improved (e.g. cough, shortness of breath) and
- It has been 10 days since the child’s COVID-19 symptoms first appeared.
Parents are encouraged to contact the school nurse and their local health department for further health guidance concerning a safe return to school. For more information on COVID-19 please visit :
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html and https://coronavirus.health.ok.gov/.